Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP)
Join the Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) program and learn cutting edge design and building best practices from our expert instructor, Stephen Aiguier of Green Hammer, as he guides participants through the entire spectrum of high performance building and shares practical insights on the following:
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- High performance wall & roof assemblies
- HVAC product selection & integrated system design
- Water conservation techniques
- Indoor air quality, green material considerations & health impacts
- Local green/energy efficiency building programs & incentives
- Lecture, discussion, hands-on exercises, & short assignments
- Guest speakers that share past projects, experiences, & expertise on issues that are critical to building quality homes successfully
- Two tours of under-construction or recently-completed green certified homes with builders & raters on-site to explain approaches, reveal cost/benefit analysis, & answer questions
- A final project that progresses throughout the course and puts principles into practice by guiding participants in designing their own high performance building or research project
The SHP accreditation program was first offered in 2008 and has since has been offered over 20 times across Oregon, all the while maintaining a longstanding reputation for depth, applied learning, and outstanding quality. SHP is complementary to other industry credentials, like LEED AP, LEED GA, SBA, CPHC, BPI, HERS, and others. SHPs are architects, builders, developers, remodelers, raters/verifiers, subcontractors, planners, engineers, third-party verification program staff, real estate professionals, appraisers, educators, and building operators who value quality craftsmanship, whole system thinking, and sustainable practices.
- Overcome common barriers & misconceptions of high performance building
- Analyze the costs & benefits of incorporating green building products and approaches
- Take advantage of financial incentives and technical assistance offered by governments, utilities and nonprofits
- Identify the full breadth of building best practices from site layout to flooring selection
- Enhance your knowledge of building science & how a home functions as a system
- Establish a sustainable design goal by incorporating energy, water, & resource efficiency while maintaining a comfortable, durable, healthy building
- Develop marketing strategies & support to strengthen the business case for green building
- Gain a builder/designer-centric approach to achieving the following certification standards: Passive House, Zero Energy, Earth Advantage®, LEED®, EPS, ENERGY STAR, Living Building Challenge, & more.
- 10 site visit tours to certified homes and 5 guest speaker presentations (see photos)
- Special guest access to the Earth Advantage Home Certification online points worksheet for final project review & submission
- Professional differentiation that comes with accredited SHP designation, use of logo, and listing on the Earth Advantage Accredited Professionals online registry
- Valuable networking opportunities with green building experts and fellow accredited SHPs that will help you develop a strong referral network
- SHP Manual, Resource Guide and course textbooks:
- Discounts on future Earth Advantage and partner trainings and events
When & Where
Earth Advantage Classroom
623 SW Oak Street, Third Floor, Portland, OR 97205 (map)
November 15, 2019 - April 4, 2020
6 monthly 2-day modules
All classes will take place from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Individual modules can be taken in random order over multiple sessions to achieve SHP accreditation
|Course Modules||Portland, OR
|Module 1: Green Building Market & Integrated Design||Nov 15 & 16|
|Module 2: Building Science Fundamentals||Dec 6 & 7|
|Module 3: High Performance Building Envelopes||Jan 10 & 11|
|Module 4: Mechanical Systems and Performance Testing||Feb 7 & 8|
|Module 5: Health, Materials, and Water||Mar 6 & 7|
|Module 6: Final Presentations and Certification Exam||Apr 3 & 4|
Questions? Contact Heather Kendall at503.968.7160 x20.
CEs & Cost
- AIA: 84 total LU/HSW for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- BPI: 35 total units for 5 modules; 7 per module 1-5
- CCB: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- CPHC: 14 CEs for module 2 & 7 for module 3
- OCHI: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- OR Real Estate Agency: 84 total CEs for all 6 modules; 14 per module
- EA Broker Renewal: 84 total CEs; 14 per module
- AGA Renewal: 84 total CEs; 14 per module
- $1375 | Earth Advantage Professionals (EA Builders, EA Brokers, Accredited Green Appraisers) & Minority and Women Business Enterprise Certification (M/WSB) Certification
- $1475 | Energy Trust Trade Allies, HBA Members, AIAs, PHnw Members & Sustainable Building Advisors
- $1600 | General Admission
- $275 | Individual Modules
- Full-tuition scholarships available - applications due Oct. 21
- $100 Early Bird Discount Oct. 31st!
- $100 Group Discount for 2 or more
- Single module registration - 3 modules for $550 (3 modules normally $825 = $275 savings) - Savings applied at checkout.
- Energy Trust of Oregon trade allies working with EPS New Construction are eligible for partial reimbursement for this course. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Fill out our Interest Form and we'll be sure to keep you updated on future course developments and opportunities.