Building Science Fundamentals (SHP Module 2)
This course explores how properly designing and constructing a building's envelope, or thermal and moisture barrier, is essential for a comfortable, healthy, durable, and energy-efficient home. The course provides an exploration of the fundamental laws that govern the dynamic flows within a building in order to understand the interconnectedness of house systems. These fundamentals are necessary tools to use when making design, construction and operation decisions that affect the sustainability of projects. Students will analyze best practices for managing thermal, air, and moisture flows to create a house that is healthy, safe, energy efficient, and durable.
Want to Learn More? This course comprises Module 2 of our 6-month Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) accreditation course. Attend this course and you'll be one step closer towards earning our Sustainable Homes Professional designation!
Day 1: Guest speaker presentation
Day 2: Two site visits to certified green homes
Questions? Contact Heather Kendall at firstname.lastname@example.org or (503) 968-7160 x20.
- Explain the natural laws that drive the thermal, air, and moisture flows within a house
- Develop strategies for analyzing how dynamic flows affect the performance of a house
- Calculate the overall R-values of various house assemblies and analyze potential efficiency improvements
- Calculate wall assembly U-factors and evaluate the optimum orientation of a house
- Understand how improving building performance affects indoor air quality
- Describe potential water management strategies
- Select appropriate design features and assemblies according to project objectives
- Integrate building envelope details into plans and specifications
When & Where
9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Earth Advantage Classroom
623 SW Oak Street, Third Floor, Portland, OR 97205 (map)
CEs & Cost
AIA: 14 LU/HSW
BPI: 7 units
CCB: 14 CEs
OCHI: 14 CEs
OR Real Estate Agency: 14 CEs
EA Broker Renewal: 14 CEs
AGA Renewal: 14 CEs
$275 | General Admission
*Energy Trust Trade Ally Reimbursements may apply.