All About ADUs
This half-day course is intended for real estate, building and design professionals looking to increase their knowledge about Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU) development in Bend in order to respond to increasing client demand for properties with ADU potential.
Professionals on the cutting edge of this emerging development trend will be able to help homeowners and developers understand site selection, development process, costs of development, and the return on investment of ADUs. This course is intended to help you understand the basic planning and building regulations for ADU development in Bend in order to better assist your clients.
Bend ADU Market
The number of ADUs being developed in Bend is on the rise thanks to a 2016 measure by the Bend City Council that makes it easier, more predictable, and less expensive for homeowners to build an ADU. More ADUs were developed in 2016 than in any previous year and this Bend Bulletin article shows permit applications are increasing exponentially. Meanwhile, in the summer of 2016, the Oregon Department of Revenue codified some important rules around the proper property taxation treatment of ADUs.
Become an ADU Specialist!
Display your tiny home expertise and credentials with our ADU Specialist designation. You must be an Earth Advantage Broker, take this All About ADUs course, and pass the ADU Exam to earn the ADU Specialist credential. Here's how it works:
- Already an EA Broker? Attend the All About ADUs course & take the ADU Exam.
- Not yet an EA Broker? Attend the All About ADUs course, complete EA Broker (either online for 7 CEs or live for 14 CEs) & take the ADU Exam for free!
- Understand what makes a property ADU-ready/eligible
- Learn what is involved in the process of getting approved to build an ADU
- Analyze taxation, valuation and financing options for ADUs
- Understand the ADU design, permitting, and building process (attached, detached, and garage conversion)
- Gain access to resources to help your clients plan for their ADU (including a budget sample, contract types, development rebate programs, and more)
- Get answers to your ADU-specific questions & network with other professionals about this specialized topic
When & Where
Thursday, May 17, 2018
8:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Central Oregon Association of REALTORS®
2112 NE 4th St, Bend, OR 97701 (map)
CEs & Cost
OR Real Estate Agency: 4 CEs
Earth Advantage Broker Renewal: 4 CEs
CCB: 4 CEs
AIA: 4 LU/HSW CEs
$85 | EA Brokers, EA Builders & COAR Members
$95 | General Admission
Accreditation Exam Fee (optional)
$29 | General Admission (EA Broker designation as prerequisite)
$119 | EA Broker course + ADU Exam
Not yet an EA Broker? Take the online EA Broker course & get the ADU exam FREE! (regularly $138)
Kol is the owner of Accessory Dwelling Strategies LLC, a company dedicated to ADU related education, advocacy and consulting. Kol edits and manages and AccessoryDwellings.org and BuildinganADU.com, websites that address ADU policy issues, best practices, and feature an array of ADU projects. He also teaches ADU classes through Earth Advantage wherein brokers can earn an ADU Specialist Designation. Kol also runs Portland's city-wide ADU tour, and does ADU related teaching, speaking and consulting for a variety of audiences.