Position: Multifamily Energy Modeling Lead
Reports to: Senior Manager, Multifamily Programs
Location: Remote / United States
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Job Close Date: Applications received by 11/30/2023 will be prioritized. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
About Earth Advantage
Earth Advantage is helping to create an informed and humane residential real estate marketplace that:
● Acknowledges both the climate impacts of
housing and the impact climate has on
● Provides ALL homebuyers and renters with access to sustainability-specific information about a home.
● Supports equitable housing outcomes, protecting those most vulnerable from the effects of climate change.
● Recognizes both the personal and societal financial value that climate-friendly housing creates.
Earth Advantage is an equal-opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory, and welcoming environment for all staff members, partners, subcontractors, and vendors. We are actively engaged in an ongoing process to identify and address inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. We enthusiastically encourage individuals from Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQ+ backgrounds to apply.
We're proud of the culture we're building at Earth Advantage, and we believe in walking the talk when it comes to sustainability. We're currently ranked in the top 10 of both Oregon Business Magazine's 100 Greenest Companies and 100 Best Nonprofits to Work For in Oregon. If you’re interested in joining an organization with incredible benefits and staffed with intelligent and dedicated people, this is the place for you. Learn more about our Vision and Core Values here
Who we’re looking for
You are an energy modeling professional with a passion for influencing the building industry. You're well-versed in multifamily and light commercial buildings, construction processes, and project stakeholders. You are organized, innovative, collaborative, and inquisitive by nature, lead by example, debate respectfully, and are decisive. You are excited by the idea of helping to shape tomorrow's building standards by contributing to Earth Advantage’s Multifamily (EAMF) program and supporting the development of robust modeling guidelines.
- Work with an integrated team of sustainability experts with backgrounds in building science, energy modeling, environmental policy, and sustainable building practices. Your work environment will be highly collaborative and relies on excellent communication skills in explaining technical project work, taking initiative, understanding clients goals, communicating analyses results, and conversing with a wide variety of project stakeholders.
- Support projects requiring simulated energy analyses as well as shaping the future of the EAMF program standard. Modeling compliance activity includes, but is not limited to:
- Energy code compliance
- Utility incentive programs
- Design alternative comparison
- Earth Advantage Certification compliance
- Perform whole building energy modeling and analysis at a variety of stages of project design and development, utilizing predominantly ASHRAE 90.1 Appendix G, and modeling/simulation guidelines for the following certification standards: EAMF, ENERGY STAR Multifamily New Construction, and LEED for Homes.
- Develop building take-offs from plans sets.
- Input accurate and detailed HVAC, envelope, and energy source data.
- Perform calculations outside the modeling software as required.
- Analyze the results of model outputs.
- Provide feedback to project teams on cost effective ways of improving building performance and sustainability.
- Manage time effectively and within project budget constraints.
- Work collaboratively with Earth Advantage Multifamily Certification program team members to refine the Earth Advantage Multifamily (EAMF) Certification Energy Modeling Guidelines. The guidelines are intended to provide a baseline for the EAMF Certification program as well as influence and inform the building industry.
- Deep commitment to Earth Advantage’s mission.
- We require staff and interns to be fully vaccinated to work in the office. The organization will consider accommodations for disability and religious-based reasons.
- At least 3 years of commercial, mid-rise and/or high-rise multifamily energy modeling experience, preferably with IES-VE modeling software.
- Experience with modeling to meet LEED, code compliance, and utility rebate program requirements.
- Ability to present analytical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Understanding of construction documents (plans and specifications), equipment cut sheets, and submittals to identify mechanical, electrical, controls, and plumbing system parameters and facility operational characteristics.
- Understanding of ASHRAE and IECC energy code compliance standards.
- Strong fundamentals in building physics, heat transfer, and construction math.
- Bachelor's degree in architecture, mechanical engineering, or any related field.
- Knowledge of Oregon and Washington codes, standards, and best practices.
- Energy modeling or assessment certification.
- An advanced degree in sustainable design or building performance modeling.
- ENERGY STAR, LEED v4 Multifamily Midrise, PHIUS energy modeling knowledge.
- Professional engineering license.
- LEED AP+ specialty, CPHD, WELL AP, or similar.
$55,000 - $75,000 annual compensation, dependent on experience.
Earth Advantage offers an excellent benefit package including:
- 5 weeks Paid Time off
- 80% employer paid medical and dental premiums for staff and dependents
- Deductible reimbursement program through our HRA
- Flexible Spending Account for medical, transit, parking, and dependent care
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- 401k plan with match
- Life insurance, short term and long-term disability insurance
- Fully paid family leave
- 6 week sabbatical opportunity after 5 years
Applications received by 11/30/2023 will be prioritized. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Please submit the following materials to apply for this position (PDF or Word format).
- Cover letter detailing qualifications (optional)
- Three professional references (can provide on request, if preferred)
Apply directly at our website
- Email applications materials to: email@example.com
Subject line should read: "Multifamily Energy Modeling Lead” - Last name, First name"