Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) for LatinoBuilt Members
Join LatinoBuilt and Earth Advantage for an in-depth training that will help you expand your residential services and succeed in today’s “green” housing market.
The SHP training program is custom- designed for LatinoBuilt members who are residential building professionals looking to enhance their building science knowledge, add new skills to their toolkit, earn the SHP designation, and grow the energy efficiency side of their business.
Find out how to get involved with Portland Clean Energy Fund (PCEF) projects and take advantage of locally available cash incentive and rebate programs.
Learn to maximize the health, energy savings, comfort, durability, and sustainability benefits for your clients.
Gain insights and recommendations from expert instructors on how to incorporate the most beneficial building practices that match your specific scenario, including:
- Building science fundamentals & moisture management
- Building envelope (wall, attic & floor) upgrades
- HVAC product selection & performance testing
- Water management & conservation
- Indoor air quality, green materials & health impacts
- Client communication, sales & marketing
Participants will attend this 20-hour training and be invited to participate in 1-on-1 mentorship to further address any specific challenges or areas of interest they are interested in. SHP offers robust Continuing Education (CE) credits and the opportunity to join over 300 residential building professionals across Oregon who have earned the Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP) designation from Earth Advantage.
The in-person SHP experience will feature:
- Bi-weekly classroom training with expert instructors
- Welcoming and interactive environment for Q&A
- Guest speakers who will share their real-world experiences and expertise
- Activities that progress through the course and allow participants to put principles into practice
- Final presentation opportunity to share your project and learn from your peers
SHP DesignationThe SHP training allows participants to earn the designation of an accredited Sustainable Homes Professional (SHP)
Participants must attend all five SHP modules, complete in-class assignments, and deliver a 10-minute final presentation in order to earn the SHP designation. Earth Advantage provides SHP designation logos, a listing on the designated professional registry, and marketing support to help SHPs gain visibility as informed green building professionals.
The first in-person, 84-hour SHP designation training was offered in 2008. SHP has been delivered live 20+ times across Oregon and is now available on-demand online across the Northwest. The SHP designation is complementary to other industry credentials (LEED AP/GA, SBA, CPHC, BPI, HERS, etc.) and offers a regionally-specific and customized training experience for building professionals across OR, WA, MT & ID. SHPs are architects, builders, developers, remodelers, raters/verifiers, subcontractors, planners, engineers, third-party program staff, real estate professionals, educators, and building operators who prioritize whole system thinking and sustainable practices.
Attendees will learn how to:
- Overcome common barriers in green/energy efficient construction
- Analyze the benefits of incorporating different green/energy efficient building products and approaches
- Take advantage of financial incentives and technical assistance offered by governments, utilities and nonprofits
- Increase knowledge of building science, durable construction & how a home functions as a system
- Create sustainable design goals (energy, water, & resource efficiency) while maintaining a comfortable, durable, healthy building
- Develop marketing strategies & support to strengthen the business case for green building
- Gain a contractor-centric approach to achieving various third party home energy score and/or home certification standards
When & Where
Training available only for LatinoBuilt member contractors
8548 SW Apple Way, Portland, OR 97225
Five 4-hour modules (20 hours total)
Participants will meet at on a bi-weekly basis on Friday mornings from 8AM - 12PM
Optional lunch + additional support from 12PM - 1PM
|Course Modules||Spring 2023|
|Module 1: Green Construction Principles & Programs||Mar. 31|
|Module 2: Building Science & High Performance Envelopes||April 14|
|Module 3: HVAC Systems & Performance Testing||April 28|
|Module 4: Indoor Air Quality, Green Materials & Water Efficiency||May 12|
|Module 5: Business Management, Sales & Marketing||May 26|
CEs & Cost
Continuing Education (CEs)
OR CCB: 20 CEs
No cost to LatinoBuilt members thanks to generous support from the Portland Clean Energy Community Benefits Fund (PCEF)
Training also made possible thanks to Energy Trust of Oregon
Questions and/or interested in signing up?
Contact Adrián Arenas, Green Program Manager at LatinoBuilt -- (971) 754-0597 | Adrian@LatinoBuilt.org
You can also contact Earth Advantage Education -- (503) 968-7160 x18 | firstname.lastname@example.org
James guides ECC's to ensure the financial, environmental, and health benefits of a clean energy economy are fully realized in BIPOC, underserved, and frontline communities. He brings over 11 years of experience working in energy efficiency and has earned several industry-recognized credentials including BPI, PTCS, SHP, Home Energy Score, HERS Rater, and LEED Green Rater. Metoyer helped develop and deliver the Green Building Trainee Accreditation at Earth Advantage to youth training/pre-apprenticeship programs across Oregon, that serve historically underserved and under-represented populations in the construction industry. His passions are teaching students about energy efficiency, bridging the gap between the medical industry and the built environment to create healthy outcomes, and working to ensure that historically underserved populations have equitable access to healthy, safe, durable, sustainable and energy efficient housing. James is a son of the Cane River Creole community of Isle of Brevelle.