Appraising Green Homes: Valuation Techniques & Applications
This course, presented by Earth Advantage, will provide a comprehensive overview of the tools, resources and different approaches to develop a green home’s market value. Beginning with an overview of current data for the valuation of green and solar PV homes, the course then presents the cost approach as it applies to these properties. Participants will then perform an in-depth analysis of the sales comparison approach and valuation techniques that can applied to both green and non-green properties.
This course comprises Module 2 in a series of two trainings that allow appraisers to earn the Accredited Green Appraiser (AGA) designation. Participants will need to complete both trainings and pass the accreditation exam to earn the AGA designation:
- Module 1 - Appraising Green Homes: Construction Methods & Trends
- Module 2 - Appraising Green Homes: Valuation Techniques & Applications
Become an Accredited Green Appraiser (AGA) and join a nationwide network of appraisers that have completed our AGA course series in order to stay ahead of the next wave in residential construction. Our AGA program provides professionals with the opportunity to enroll in coursework that will both strengthen their expertise and promote their green appraisal qualifications to lenders and AMCs who are seeking "competent" green appraisers. AGAs benefit from professional differentiation by leveraging marketing support from Earth Advantage in the form of AGA logos and an online listing in our registry of designated professionals. Appraisers must earn 4 CEs in green real estate education every 2 years to maintain the AGA designation and can do so by completing additional green coursework offered by Earth Advantage or other providers.
Did you know the secondary mortgage market (Fannie, Freddie, and FHA) and Appraisal Foundation guidelines require "competency" in this topic area prior to accepting an assignment on a green or energy efficient home? Become one of the appraisers in your area that lenders and AMCs can turn to who meet this standard. Our AGA program has been recommended as qualifying green home valuation education by the Appraisal Foundation and the Oregon Appraiser Certification & Licensure Board (ACLB). AGA has been offered live across California, Maryland, Massachusetts, Virginia, Washington and Alabama.
Questions? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503.968.7160 x20.
- Understand the latest valuation studies and how they affect appraisers.
- Gain the data and tools needed to apply adjustments to green and solar PV home appraisal assignments using different approaches to value.
- Identify and apply the most appropriate sales comparison approach available using market, cost, quality of construction, and utility adjustment data.
- Describe how energy upgrades made through local home energy audit and retrofit programs can increase the appraised value of a home.
- Learn about appraisal addendums developed by Earth Advantage and Appraisal Institute and the different uses of each.
- Utilize the Appraising Green Homes course manual and resource guide as reference tools.
When & Where
CEs & Cost
Appraising Green Homes: Construction Methods & Trends is also offered via live in-person trainings that provide 7 CEs ($149 course fee). Click here and click the 'Upcoming Sessions' dropdown to see if any courses are being offered in your area.