Technical Field Inspector
Technical Field Consultant
Reports to: Manager, Green Building Technical Services
Location: 623 SW Oak St, Suite 300, Portland, OR
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Job Close Date: Open until filled
Who We’re Looking For
You’re an organized, analytical, innovative, inquisitive, and collaborative individual with a passion for sustainable building. You’re interested in joining an entrepreneurial nonprofit, with incredible benefits and flex-time, staffed with intelligent, dedicated people.
The Technical Field Consultant role is at the core of Earth Advantage’s green building certification work. This role requires in-depth knowledge of building science, excellent communication and problem-solving skills, and very high standards in verifying that homes and buildings meet relevant green building standards.
- Perform green building certification verifications with thoroughness and accuracy.
- Review and complete required green building certification checklists and forms, for both single family and multi-family construction projects.
- Perform diagnostic testing including, but not limited to: duct testing, blower door testing, CAZ testing, and air flow testing.
- When needed, inform builders, sub-contractors, developers, and/or subcontractors on the requirements of Earth Advantage Home Certification, Earth Advantage Multifamily Certification, LEED for Homes, and ENERGY STAR programs.
- Provide clear communication on any non-passing projects to ensure that the needed repairs are understood.
- Conduct re-inspections of non-passing projects to ensure compliance with the program specifications.
- Remain up to date on any changes in program requirements.
Technical Field Consultant Goals
- Successful completion of project verifications and other scheduled performance tests, and all associated forms, checklists, and point sheets.
- 24-hour (or less) turnaround time on sending out completed verification reports via email.
- Follow up trainings and framing walk-throughs to educate builders about relevant certification program requirements and ensure 100% compliance.
- Weekly contact with builders on pending or non-passing projects.
- High motivation with demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Exceptional attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to keep stakeholders informed at all times.
- Ability to Interact and communicate with confidence in the green building field (with general contractors, superintendents, developers, architects, and homeowners).
- Minimum two years of experience in one or more of the following:
- Green building certifications
- Energy efficiency assessments
- Trade experience with insulation, HVAC, framing, or electric installation
- Training in building science
- Superior customer service skills and a sincere desire to help people
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituents
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce
- Lift 50-60 lbs at any given time
- Supply vehicle to and from job site and other assigned duties
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- LEED for Homes Green Rater
- HERS Verifier or Rater
- ENERGY STAR Verifier
- BPI Energy Analyst and Envelope Professional
- Energy Trust of Oregon EPS Verifier
- US DOE Home Energy Score Assess0r
- Bachelor’s degree in education, business, marketing, sustainability, or related field (or equivalent)
- Minimum two years of experience in education, or training and development
- Very savvy with new technology
- Fluency in two or more languages
- Excellent interpersonal communication, research, and writing skills
Earth Advantage is committed to providing training opportunities for employees to earn and maintain professional accreditations.
Earth Advantage offers an excellent benefit package including: 5 weeks Paid Time off, 80% paid medical and dental premiums for staff and dependents, 401k plan with match, Flexible Spending Account, short term and long-term disability insurance, family leave policy, and sabbatical. This is a representative list that may change from time to time.
Please submit the following materials to apply for this position (PDF Format Only). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter detailing qualifications and salary requirements
- Three professional references (can provide on request, if preferred)
Email application materials to: email@example.com
Subject line should read: “Technical Field Consultant – Last name, First name”
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE
Per federal requirements, the selected applicant must pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.