Position: Technical Field Consultant
Reports to: Green Building Certifications Manager
Location: 151 SW 1st Avenue, 4th Floor, Portland OR
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt
Job Close Date: Open until filled
About Earth Advantage
Earth Advantage is an entrepreneurial Oregon-based nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate the creation of better buildings. If you’re interested in joining an organization with incredible benefits and staffed with intelligent and dedicated people, this is the place for you. Learn more about our Vision and Core Values here.
Earth Advantage is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, partners, subcontractors, and vendors. We are actively engaged in an ongoing process to identify inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. We strongly encourage individuals from Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQ+ backgrounds to apply.
We are looking for a multifamily field technician professional who brings building science knowledge, excellent communication and problem-solving skills, and high level of quality work. This person should enjoy working in the field, writing, teaching, learning, and understanding the importance of all associated administrative tasks.
- Perform building inspections, checklists, and reporting for primarily multi-family construction, and some single family.
- Perform diagnostic building HVAC and envelope testing including, but not limited to: duct testing, blower door testing, and air flow testing.
- Provide education regarding the ENERGY STAR, Earth Advantage, and LEED for Homes programs to builders, sub-contractors, developers, and subcontractors on a one-on-one basis, as a support to the green building consultants.
- Communicate effectively with EA technicians, the green building consultants, job superintendents, EA supervisor, as well as any other individuals/entities identified in the future.
- Follow up on all failed inspections to ensure that the needed repairs are understood, re-inspect the homes to ensure compliance with the program specifications, and log details of these visits.
- Assist with developing and refining certification programs, as necessary. This includes researching, writing or rewriting measures, and editing.
- Respond to upcoming changes in program requirements, as necessary.
- Complete site visit reports promptly after inspections.
- Other duties as assigned. Job duties are subject to change.
TECHNICAL FIELD CONSULTANT GOALS
- Successful completion of inspections and other scheduled performance tests, and all associated forms, checklists, and point sheets.
- 24-hour (or less) turnaround time on sending out completed inspection reports via email.
- Follow up trainings and framing walk-throughs to educate builders about relevant certification program requirements and ensure 100% compliance.
- Weekly contact with builders that have pending or failed inspections.
- Lift 50-60 lbs at any given time
- Supply vehicle to and from job site and other assigned duties
- Valid driver’s license and auto insurance
- Superior customer service skills and a sincere desire to help people
- Excellent interpersonal communication, research, and writing skills
- Ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external constituents
- High motivation with demonstrated ability to take initiative
- Exceptional attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to keep stakeholders informed at all times
- Computer skill set – Microsoft Office
- Interact and communicate with confidence in the green building field (with general contractors, superintendents, developers, architects, and homeowners)
- Must pass pre-employment drug screen and background check
- Availability to work occasional evenings
- Bachelor’s degree in education, business, marketing, sustainability, or related field (or equivalent)
- Any of the following certifications: LEED for Homes Green Rater, HERS Verifier or Rater, ENERGY STAR Verifier, PHIUS Rater, BPI Energy Analyst and Envelope Professional, Energy Trust of Oregon EPS Verifier
- Two years of experience in green building
- Trade experience such as: HES assessments, insulation, HVAC, framing, or electric installation
- Two years of experience in education, or training and development
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Salesforce
- Very savvy with new technology
Salaries starting at $55,500 with no experience. Increasing base salary dependent on experience and inspections certifications in good standing.
Earth Advantage offers an excellent benefit package including: 5 weeks Paid Time off, 80% paid medical and dental premiums for staff and dependents, 401k plan with match, Flexible Spending Account, short term and long-term disability insurance, family leave policy, and sabbatical. This is a representative list that may change from time to time.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Earth Advantage is engaged in an ongoing process to identify inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. Applicants from historically underserved and/or under-represented communities in the building industry are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please submit the following materials to apply for this position (PDF or Word format). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter detailing qualifications and salary requirements
- Three professional references (can provide on request, if preferred)
Subject line should read: “Technical Field Consultant – Last name, First name”
Click Below to Apply Now
At Earth Advantage we believe that climate change is a challenge that crosses boundaries of income, race, ethnicity, religion, age, abilities, geography, gender identities, sexual orientation, and disproportionately affects disadvantaged populations. We actively support and value diversity in company culture, the recruitment of staff and board members, and in our partnerships with organizations and individuals in order to propel the building industry toward a socially, economically, and environmentally just future.