Position: Sr. Manager, Residential Energy Innovations
Reports to: Managing Director
Location: Oregon (Remote position if located outside the Portland-metro area)
Classification: Full-time, Exempt
Job Close Date: Open until filled
About Earth Advantage
Earth Advantage is helping to create an informed and humane residential real estate marketplace. We seek to enable an American real estate marketplace that:
- Acknowledges both the climate impacts of housing and the impact climate has on housing.
- Provides ALL homebuyers and renters with access to sustainability-specific information about a home.
- Supports equitable housing outcomes, protecting those most vulnerable from the effects of climate change.
- Recognizes both the personal and societal financial value that climate-friendly housing creates.
Earth Advantage is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, partners, subcontractors, and vendors. We are actively engaged in an ongoing process to identify inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. We strongly encourage individuals from Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQ+ backgrounds to apply.
Who We’re Looking For
You’re a technically-savvy energy efficiency and building decarbonization professional with a passion for promoting equitable outcomes when influencing how homes and buildings are designed and constructed. You’re capable of, and interested in, moving seamlessly between engaging in building decarbonization policy advocacy, increasing technical awareness within the residential building industry, and leading building energy-related research projects. You are well versed in residential construction processes and aware of local, regional, and national energy technical and policy stakeholder processes. Your communication style and technical knowledge elicits respect from a range of stakeholders, from policymakers to seasoned building industry professionals.
Equitable Decarbonization Advocacy
Provide technical policy leadership for Earth Advantage, including via the ZERO Coalition, to help enable the equitable decarbonization of Oregon homes and buildings. Provide Subject Matter Expertise in developing, evaluating, and commenting on residential energy code proposals and policies in Oregon. Track building decarbonization policy processes, including participating in and influencing the outcomes of state energy code committees and boards. Advocate for the evolution of state and local building energy policies and processes in accordance with Earth Advantage’s climate and equity goals.
Building Industry Training
In coordination with the Sr. Education Manager, lead the development and delivery of residential construction best-practice training for the Northwest building industry (building code officials, builders, architects, HVAC, and energy efficiency professionals). Provide project leadership with key clients in the following areas:
- Curriculum and resource development
- Training delivery to regional building industry
- Technical assistance to regional building industry
- Residential new construction industry liaison
- Client support and reporting
Initiate and lead building science-focused residential research projects, often with national laboratory and regional energy efficiency organization partners. Research topics could include the following:
- Building code enforcement
- Energy efficiency performance testing and commissioning
- HVAC sizing and design
- High-performance wall systems
- Construction cost analyses
- Deep commitment to Earth Advantage’s mission.
- Understanding and application of ASHRAE and IECC energy code compliance standards.
- Understanding of HVAC systems and related mechanical concepts and experience in the analysis of energy conservation measures.
- Ability to present analytical information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to communicate technical analyses/results to non-technical audiences.
- Strong report writing skills.
- Strong analytical skills and an aptitude for creative problem solving.
- Proficient with the use of Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- 5+ years of professional experience in architecture, building science, engineering, consulting, energy and carbon research, or other relevant areas.
- Knowledge of Northwest (particularly Oregon and Washington) energy codes, standards, and best practices.
- Experience developing and delivering training programs for building industry professionals.
- Experience in residential building code enforcement, construction, design, or energy efficiency performance testing and commissioning.
- Understanding of residential construction documents, plans, specifications, and equipment cut sheets.
- Master’s degree in architecture, mechanical engineering, or related field.
- Professional engineering or HVAC industry background.
- HERS Rater, LEED for Homes Green Rater, or other energy efficiency certifications (current or prior).
$75,000-$105,000 annual compensation, dependent on experience.
Earth Advantage offers an excellent benefit package including: 5 weeks Paid Time off, 80% paid medical and dental
premiums for staff and dependents, 401k plan with match, Flexible Spending Account, short term and long-term disability insurance, family leave policy, and sabbatical.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Earth Advantage is engaged in an ongoing process to identify inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, volunteers, subcontractors, and vendors. Earth Advantage strongly encourages individuals from Black, Indigenous, Latinx, Asian, and LGBTQ+ backgrounds to apply.
Please submit the following materials to apply for this position (PDF or Word format). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter detailing qualifications and salary requirements
- Three professional references (can provide on request, if preferred)
Apply directly at our website OR Email applications materials to: email@example.com
Subject line should read: "Sr. Manager, Residential Energy Innovations” - Last name, First name"
Click Below to Apply Now
At Earth Advantage we believe that climate change is a challenge that crosses boundaries of income, race, ethnicity, religion, age, abilities, geography, gender identities, sexual orientation, and disproportionately affects disadvantaged populations. We actively support and value diversity in company culture, the recruitment of staff and board members, and in our partnerships with organizations and individuals in order to propel the building industry toward a socially, economically, and environmentally just future.