Location: Portland, OR
Classification: Full-time, exempt
About Earth Advantage
Earth Advantage is an entrepreneurial Oregon-based nonprofit whose mission is to accelerate the creation of better buildings. If you’re interested in joining an organization with incredible benefits and staffed with intelligent and dedicated people, this is the place for you. Learn more about our Vision and Core Values here.
Earth Advantage is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity at all levels. We are committed to providing an inclusive, non-discriminatory and welcoming environment for all members of our staff, partners, subcontractors, and vendors. We are actively engaged in an ongoing process to identify inequities in our programming, organizational culture, community, and industry. Applicants from historically underserved or underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Who We’re Looking For
You are efficient, organized, and value great customer service, both internally and externally. You’re great with numbers and great with people. You’re also looking for a way to take what you’re good at and apply it to a cause that you believe in.
The Financial Controller / Staff Accountant is a member of the Administrative Team. In collaboration with the Operations Manager, this position proactively supports the efforts of the Executive Director, Department Directors and the Board of Directors with accurate and timely financial information.
- Maintain Earth Advantage’s accounting systems and internal accounting controls.
- Provide accurate monthly financial statements that include balance sheet, profit and loss, accounts receivable aging, and departmental financial performance.
- Identify and investigate variances in department and organizational budget versus actuals.
- Prepare a monthly financial narrative that provides an overview of the performance based on an analysis of supporting statements.
- Lead the development of annual operating budgets, in collaboration with the Executive Director and Department Directors. Review all budget documents for accuracy.
- Develop forecasts and internal strategic financial plans while maintaining compliance with Board-approved fiscal policies.
- Assist in development of performance measures that support Earth Advantage’s strategic direction.
- Oversee timely and accurate accounts payable and payroll, including accurate recording and payment of PTO and commissions to staff.
- Develop and conduct processes that ensure the timely delivery of invoices and statements to customers.
- Provide timely and accurate tax filings with city, county, state and federal jurisdictions.
- Ensure transparency of financial information required by managers and directors that allows them to provide quality customer service and timely information.
- Review contract performance, status of payments, and work with contract managers to develop plans for collection, when necessary.
- Collaborate with financial auditors for the annual audit; make appropriate improvements to internal accounting processes that ensure practices are in line with organization goals and compliance with GAAP accounting standards.
- Support the fiduciary responsibility of the Board of Directors. Prepare accurate monthly financial reports; monitor revenue, expenditures, budgets, and cash flow projections; provide opportunities to enhance the fiscal literacy of Board Members by assisting the Executive Director in Board presentations.
- Work collaboratively with the Operations Manager to ensure fiscal functions are completed accurately and on a timely basis, including: cash disbursements, cash receipts, payroll, contract billing, credit card purchase management, and other duties as delegated by the Executive Director.
- Prepare and present financial training to managers and directors on specific topics as needed or requested.
- BA in finance, business, accounting or equivalent experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience in accounting.
- Preferred accounting background in building trades or non-profit industries.
- Experience with GAAP accounting policies and practice.
- Experience in researching and implementing accounting system process improvements.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- A team player with the ability to generate respect and trust from staff and external customers.
- Proactive with demonstrated ability to take initiative.
- Exceptional attention to detail, follow-through, and ability to keep stakeholders informed at all times.
- Excellent Excel skills (including competency with pivot tables).
- Proficiency with QuickBooks or other accounting software.
- CRM experience a plus.
This is a full-time position based in Portland, Oregon. Earth Advantage staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19 precautions.
Earth Advantage offers an excellent benefit package including: 5 weeks Paid Time off, 80% paid medical and dental premiums for staff and dependents, 401k plan with match, Flexible Spending Account, short term and long-term disability insurance, family leave policy, and sabbatical. Note: This is a representative list that may be subject to change.
Please submit the following materials to apply for this position (PDF Format Only). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Cover letter detailing qualifications and salary requirements
- Three professional references (can provide on request, if preferred)
Email subject line should read: “Financial Controller / Staff Accountant ” – Last name, First name”
Per federal requirements, the selected applicant must pass pre-employment drug screen and background check.