Course Level: 300 | Course Length: 4 days
- This course can be divided into two individual modules:
Building Science Fundamentals & High Performance Building Envelopes, as well as be taken as part of the larger
Sustainable Homes Professional [SHP] Certification course.
- Full funding assistance available! For more info on how to offset the entire cost of this course and others, click one of the individual course links above.
Date, Time and Location
- Click individual course links above for more info.
Gain confidence in your energy-efficient design and construction practices while reducing your liability through superior building performance. Explore how properly designing and constructing a building's envelope, or thermal and moisture barrier, is essential for a comfortable, healthy, durable, and energy-efficient home. This course is specifically designed for residential contractors, architects, and designers.
- Apply air flow and heat transfer principles
- Identify moisture management strategies
- Calculate R-values and U-values
- Examine 10 high-performance, energy-efficient wall and roof assemblies
- Explore durable wall design, insulation strategies and air sealing
- Explain the importance of performance testing and diagnostics
- See high-performance envelopes up-close through green home site visits
AIA: 28 LU/HSW/SD
CCB: 4 core hours (codes) and 24 elective hours
BPI: 14 continuing education units
OR Real Estate Agency: 28 hours (with principal broker approval)
Clackamas Community College: 2 college credit (100-level)
Stephen founded Green Hammer in 2002, evolving the business into a full service design-build firm committed to advancing the highest standards for green building. In the first few years of operation, Stephen led Green Hammer in building five of the nation’s highest scoring LEED Platinum homes. A Certified Passive House Consultant (CPHC) and building science expert, Stephen has been involved with many of the first residential and commercial Passive House buildings in the Pacific Northwest.
A stern advocate for the protection of wilderness areas and restoration of natural forests, Stephen has supported countless non-profits and campaigns to both protect wild places and to responsibly steward our natural resources. In 2008, Stephen spearheaded Green Hammer becoming the first and only Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Chain of Custody (COC) certified building firm in the United States. In 2004 Stephen co-founded Urban Timber Works, an FSC certified milling operation that transforms urban salvaged trees from the Portland metro area into artisan furniture. In 2005, Stephen co-founded the Build Local Alliance as a forum for connecting local FSC certified forest stewards to builders and architects in the Portland region.
Rarely is such a wealth of knowledge, passion and expertise found in an individual so willing to share with the world. Stephen has been invited to speak in front of thousands of people at every major green building conference in the United States, and he regularly blogs for the Daily Journal of Commerce and Sustainable Business Oregon.
In 2011, Stephen was named one of Portland Business Journal’s “40 Under 40”, and as one of Sustainable Business Oregon’s Top 10 Sustainable Built Environment Leaders to Watch in 2012.
- This course can be divided into two individual modules: Building Science Fundamentals & High Performance Building Envelopes, as well as be taken as part of the larger Sustainable Homes Professional [SHP] Certification course.
- Full funding assistance available! For more info on how to offset the entire cost of this course and others, click one of the individual course links at the top of this page.
- Regular Admission: $590