Earth Advantage Broker Certification (S.T.A.R.)
Course Length: 2 days
Earn up to $2,250 annually when you complete the S.T.A.R. course and become an Energy Trust of Oregon Real Estate Professional Ally. Learn More >
Dates, Times and Locations
S.T.A.R. (Sustainability Training for Accredited Real Estate Professionals) gives real estate professionals the knowledge and skills to communicate with clients about the value and benefits of a new or remodeled green home. Participants will be able to identify which home features and building products provide greater energy, water, and resource efficiency and create a healthier living environment for their clients. The course provides an overview of different green home certification programs and offers participants a hands-on exploration of green building techniques and products through certified home site visits and a tour of the Earth Advantage Institute green building showroom. This certification course will provide real estate professionals with an understanding of the green home consumer market segments and prepare them to market and sell a green home.
Here's what people are saying about S.T.A.R.:
"One of the best classes I've taken in 20+ years."
"I truly hope that more people take this course. It provides important and timely information that will help make a huge difference in our work with buyers and sellers and in our communities."
"I have been in the business over 20 years and have taken many classes. This would rate on the top for long- lasting effect in my business and personal life. Since the class, my mind set has changed. I've told clients and agents this is the future. We all need to do our share. Thanks for the opportunity."
- Describe basic green home features and trends
- Communicate effectively about green building concepts
- Identify the differences among leading third-party green home certification programs
- Tailor your marketing message to clients who have varying green values
- S.T.A.R. Manual and Resource Guide
- The Northwest Green Home Primer by Kathleen O'Brien and Kathleen Smith
- Two site visits to certified green homes
- Lunch provided each day
- Opportunity for Oregon brokers to receive up to $2000 annually in cooperative marketing funds through Energy Trust of Oregon’s Trade Ally Program
- Earth Advantage Broker professional designation and use of logo
- Personalized Earth Advantage Broker page on the Earth Advantage Institute Web site
- Discounts on other Earth Advantage Institute courses and events
- Distinguish yourself in the marketplace with green home knowledge and marketing skills
There are no prerequisites for enrolling in S.T.A.R. However, participants seeking continuing education units or the Earth Advantage® Broker designation should be licensed real estate brokers or salespersons in Oregon or Washington. Certification requires full attendance and the successful completion of the online, open-book examination with a minimum passing grade of 80%. Students are allowed to retake the exam once to receive a passing grade.
OR Real Estate Agency: 12 CEUs (Class #2200; Topic: RE Development, Environmental Protection, RE valuation.)
WA State Department of Licensing, Real Estate Program: 13 clock hours in Current Trends and Issues area
National Association of REALTORS®: Earth Advantage Brokers who would like to earn a NAR Green Designation may use their Alternative Program Credit to fulfill NAR’s 'Green 100' course requirement. The NAR Green Designation can be earned by providing proof of completing the S.T.A.R. course and completing NAR’s 'Green 200' and 'Green 300' courses.
Taylor Watkins* | Portland, Seattle
* Washington State approved instructor
Portland General Admission: $365 (lunch provided)
+ Click "Sign Up" below to see the registration page for possible discounts in your area.
+ Group rates available.
Energy Trust of Oregon's Incentives for Real Estate Professionals
- $250 fixed annual reimbursement for one Web site featuring Energy Trust of Oregon required text and logo
- Up to $2000 annually for approved marketing campaigns as a Real Estate Professional Trade Ally